Freetown (Flint Hill)
Freetown was an African American community on Fodderstack Road a mile west of Flint Hill. In 1865, just after the Civil War and general Emancipation, black residents established Macedonia Baptist Church. With a grant from the Rosenwald fund, established by the founder of Sears, Roebuck, local citizens built Flint Hill Graded School in 1925. The single room served students through the fifth grade; then they traveled to Washington for sixth and seventh. In 1958 the community renamed the school to honor Warner A. Russell, who taught there and at Hume, Virginia, for forty-one years.
- Rappahannock Historical Society church and school files, Washington, Va.
(Back to Freetown Flint Hill)