Title: JTHG Director of Educational Programs
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
The Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership Director of Educational Programs will be responsible for creating and implementing state-of-the art programs intended to bring the Journey’s rich history to regional, national, and international audiences. This will include creating and updating web-based education materials; working with school administrators, teachers, and students on a vast array of educational programs; coordinating existing and facilitating new educational programs at partners’ historical sites; representing the JTHG at regional and national education conferences and seeking donor and grant funding to support these programs.
The Director of Educational Programs will report directly to the President of the JTHG Partnership; will mentor, manage, and assist Educational Program Managers, part-time Camp Directors; Interns and Volunteers involved with the Educational Programs; and will work with all members of the JTHG Partnership Team to assist in the achievement of furthering our overall mission and vision.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate, manage and expand the Journey’s existing education programs, including:
- The Extreme JTHG Summer Camps
- The Of the Student By the Student, For the Student Service Learning Program
- The Northern Virginia Community College/Loudoun County Public School JTHG Course
- The summer TAH Teacher Extreme
- Field trip opportunities and existing history class programs at local high schools.
2. Identify probable grantors, and then seek grant funding to support and further the JTHG Partnership Educational Programs. Develop and maintain a grant target list that includes:
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Existing and target private donors (i.e., Haney Scholars and the Richard Reynolds Foundation)
- Corporate Partners like History Channel, Coca Cola Foundation, etc.
3. Work with the JTHG team to create interactive educational programs with strategic partners such as History Channel, Gannett, Learning Tree, Gilder Lerhman, Discovery Communications, and textbook publishers.
4. Serve as the primary contact for all inquiries related to education. As part of this task, it will be necessary to develop an education email list as the principle communication link to individual teachers, schools, and administrators.
5. Update and expand content for JTHG education web page to include:
- Developing lesson plans and other teacher/student collateral materials tied to Virginia SOLs, Maryland and Pennsylvania Educational Standards and national social studies standards.
- Additional field trip options
- Continuous learning tours
- Highlighting education programs and events at partner sites
6. Promote the JTHG education mission by submitting papers and speaking at local, regional and national forums and conferences.
7. Direct a program of educational internships for high school, college and graduate students.
- Xtreme Journey Camp Counselors
- Of, For, By High School Interns mentoring Middle School Students
- Summer Graduate Interns working on website Lesson Plan updates