The Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership is a non-profit organization dedicated to raising national and international awareness of the unparalleled history in the region, which generally follows the Old Carolina Road (Rt. 15/231) from Gettysburg, through Maryland, to Monticello in Albemarle County, VA. From its communities, farms, businesses and heritage sites, we have an opportunity to celebrate and preserve this vital fabric of America which stands today in the historic, scenic and natural beauty of this region. The Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership is dedicated to encouraging both Americans and world visitors to appreciate, respect, and experience this cultural landscape that makes it uniquely American.
We are committed to achieving this Mission by:
- Building a strong network of local, regional and national partners to develop a common vision for the conservation and enhancement of the scenic, historic, recreational, cultural, and natural characteristics of the region.
- Developing an education outreach program to reach every student and teacher within the region as well as across the nation.
- Creating a heritage tourism program that will provide economic development opportunities, through regional branding and cooperative marketing, in communities throughout the corridor.
- Working in partnership with local, state and national leaders and residents to create a National Scenic Byway and a National Heritage Area to sustain and strengthen our economy, heritage and quality of life in this region.
- Creating open cooperation with property owners, heritage sites, citizens, business, real estate leaders and public officials to find that balance between growth and preservation which will help communities to prosper and citizens to travel safely while taking pride in our American Heritage.
Adopted by the Executive Committee 11/11/05 and 11/29/05