Purchased in 1903 by Westmoreland and Marguerite Davis, the original residence at Morven Park was a small fieldstone farmhouse built around 1780. By the time the Davises purchased the property, it looked as it does today, with its impressive Greek Revival portico and massive columns.
Davis transformed the property into a model of agricultural advancement and was encouraged by his fellow farmers to run for governor, an office he held from 1918 to 1922. Today, Morven Park honors the ideals and accomplishments of the Davises through educational and recreational programs focused on nature, agriculture, civic leadership and equestrian sports.
The historic home is open for tours year-round, as are the Museum of Hounds & Hunting of North America and the Winmill Carriage Museum with its collection of 40-plus antique horse-drawn vehicles. Civil War buffs can visit replica huts on the site of an original Confederate encampment, and hikers can enjoy several miles of trails on the wooded ridge-line.
Grounds open 8 a.m. to dusk every day except New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas
- Tour Information:
- Tours Thurs-Mon, noon-5 p.m., except Sun 1-5 p.m.
- Admission Fee/Ticket Price:
Free entry to grounds
Tours: $10/adult; $5/children; under 6 free
- 17263 Southern Planter Ln
Leesburg, Virginia 20176
- 703 777-2414
More about the area:
Leesburg has been the county seat since 1757 and was once named "George Town" honoring King George II. Leesburg was established in 1758 from land originally held by Lord Fairfax, then renamed...
Local Tourism Resources:
Visit Loudoun and Loudoun County Visitors Center
112-G South St. SE
Leesburg, VA 20175
703-771-2170 ext. 11 or 800-752-6118 ext. 11
Daily 9:00 am - 5:00 pm / Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Days http://www.visitloudoun.org