With the construction of the county courthouse in 1822, Brentsville became the county seat. Long before, it was the crossroads of Indian trade paths and roads from the Potomac to the Blue Ridge Mountains. It remained the county seat until 1892, when it was moved to Manassas. Brentsville was occupied by both Confederate and Union soldiers throughout the Civil War. In 1974, the County Park Authority acquired the courthouse and established an 18-acre Historical Recreation Area.
Local Tourism Resources:
Historic Manassas Visitor Center
9431 West St.
Manassas, VA 20110
703-396-7130 or 800-432-1792