The Journey Through Hallowed Ground

Skip to Navigation

Hessian Barracks

Completed in 1780, this National Historic Site held captured German soldiers during the Revolution, then it housed a state armory, the county fair, a Civil War hospital, and the first building of Maryland School for the Deaf. Museum exhibits weapons, Civil War militaria, a hearth kitchen, and an antique classroom.


Open for special events, by appointment, and on the second Saturday of every month, May - Dec (also open the second Sunday in Sept) 12-4 PM

301-600-4047 or 800-999-3613
Directions to:

More about the area:

  • Frederick, MD

    The city of Frederick is the county seat of Frederick County, the largest county by area in the state of Maryland. The city of Frederick witnessed a steady stream of Northern and Southern soldiers and...

    read more

Local Tourism Resources:

Back to top