The property was acquired in 1823 and today its exhibits include several bedrooms with furnishings from the 1850’s – 1870’s, papers and historic items of the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. The Miller House Library contains many early documents and church records of Washington County.
McLean House and Farm Civil War Trails Site
The home of the Wilmer McLean stood near this intersection and became the headquarters for Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard July 18, 1861, when the Battle of Blackburn’s Ford erupted.
Mansion House Museum
Situated in one of the most beautiful city parks in America is a Georgian-style mansion house built by John Heyser in 1846. The massive house with its large, inviting wrap-around porch is built of native limestone and bricks.
Jennie Wade House Museum
With but few minor changes and repairs, the Jennie Wade House Museum remains much as Jennie (the only civilian killed during the Battle of Gettysburg) must have known it more than 140 years ago. Authentically furnished from cellar to attic, the museum is not only a shrine to a heroic martyr but has become a […]
Historic Tate Farm
The restored farmhouse and formal garden was the scene of trade with the Indians and settlers along Beaver Dam Creek and later part of the Gettysburg Campaign. On July 2, 1863 Union and Confederate cavalry collided head on here. Washington had his horse shod at the farm’s blacksmith shop on his return from quelling the […]
George Gilmore, a former enslaved African at Montpelier, built this home after his emancipation. George and his wife, Polly, leased the land from Dr. James Madison (a great-nephew of President Madison) in the late 1860s.
As a sharpshooters post, the building shows the scars of more than 100 bullet holes. Ghost stories in cellar and candlelight walks at the Inn/Bed & Breakfast and Farnsworth House Inn Restaurant. Civil War period dining experience. Some specialties include game pie, peanut soup, spoon bread and pumpkin fritters. Period fare served by period dressed […]
William Jones built Ellwood circa 1790, and he or his descendants would own the place for the next century. In 1825, Revolutionary War hero Marquis de Lafayette dined at Ellwood during his triumphant tour of America. Other founding fathers, such as James Madison and James Monroe, may have stopped here, too.
David Wills House
The three-story home of Gettysburg attorney David Wills, built about 1816, was the center of the immense clean-up process after the Battle of Gettysburg and where President Lincoln stayed before giving his Gettysburg Address, the speech that transformed Gettysburg’s community from a place of devastation to the symbol of our nation’s “new birth of freedom.”
This house served as headquarters for Confederate Gen. Joseph Johnston following the Battle of First Manassas in 1861. A year later, the home was a occupied by Union troops as Stonewall Jackson advanced to the old battlefield prior to the Battle of Second Manassas. The Conner House is currently in the process of being restored […]
Carollton Manor (Tuscarora/St. Josephs Church)
Charles Carroll, of Carrollton, who was the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, provided a chapel at Tuscarora in 1764. The cemetery, adjoining the church, contains many unmarked graves of the Irish laborers of the C&O canal and B&O Railroad, who fell victim to the cholera epidemics of 1822 and 1832. The marked […]
Adjacent to the Museum of Culpeper History. The Burgandine House (c.1750) is the oldest house in the town of Culpeper and is open to visitors. The Museum grounds provide a beautiful setting to reflect on the day and plan your next adventure.