African Americans throughout Virginia lobbied persistently for better education, yet progress came slowly. Culpeper and Orange offered very limited secondary programs, while Greene, Madison, and Rappahannock did not extend beyond seventh grade.
In 1946, representatives from Culpeper, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock requested and received funds from the state to build a regional high school. George Washington Carver Regional High School opened in 1948 and quickly earned respect for the quality of the students and the education they received.
In 1968, after public schools integrated, officials changed the school into Piedmont Technical Education Center. In 1992, members of the still-active alumni association lobbied to restore the original name. The old high school now serves Culpeper County residents as the George Washington Carver-Piedmont Technical Education Center.