Historic Great Conewago Presbyterian Church has been in continuous use since 1787. During the Battle of Gettysburg, it served as a confederate infirmary and binding station. In 1870, general repairs included new pulpit furniture, carpeting, new pews and oil lamps.
Two of the six original oil chandeliers are still used, although they have been electrified along with four replicas. In 1887, an adjacent structure, now known as the Chapel, was built using bricks salvaged from a nearby building once used as an academy for young boys and girls.
Eventually a kitchen and rest rooms were added to the rear of the Chapel. The pre-Revolutionary cemetery adjacent to the church was incorporated in the 1940s as Great Conewago Presbyterian Cemetery Association which continues to maintain the grounds and graves. Among numerous old grave sites are those of 26 Revolutionary War dead and 9 Civil War soldiers.