A visitor to Greene County cannot help but be charmed by a visit to the County Courthouse. Located in the small county seat of Stanardsville, the Greene County Courthouse is one of several Roman Revival courthouses found throughout the region.
William Donoho and William B. Phillips built the courthouse in 1838; the latter of whom is known to have worked for Thomas Jefferson as a master builder.
The elegant building includes a temple-form front, with a wonderful ornamental octagonal cupola. The courthouse interior was largely destroyed by fire in 1979, but the exterior survived largely intact.