Built in 1825 and according to tax records the house was valued at the time of construction at $2,876, a handsome sum for the time period. By July 1861, Liberia was pressed into service as the headquarters for General P. G. T. Beauregard, CSA and some reports also record its use as a hospital and 'death house' after the Battle of First Manassas.
In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln visited Liberia to confer with his generals. By the end of the Civil War, Liberia was the only significant structure to remain standing on the plains of Manassas.
It was to this devastated landscape that the Weir family returned to farm their holdings. Despite the family's labor, they were unable to return the plantation to its former grandeur.