Samuel Miller established The Miller School, originally known as The Miller Manual Labor School in 1874 to provide a first-rate education for children from Albemarle County and the surrounding area, regardless of financial condition.
The architectural focal point of the campus, Old Main, was begun in 1876. It was designed by architects Albert Lybrock and D. Wiley Anderson of Richmond, and built by Thomas Woodroffe, originally from England. The school opened in 1878 with 33 students, and has been a successful boarding and day school ever since.
The Miller School's complex of buildings reflect the Victorian Gothic architecture popular at the time. Situated on almost 1600 acres of land, the beautiful grounds provide ample space for the 160 students now attending the school.