Union Cemetery

Historical SitesLeesburg, VA

Established in 1855 on the immediate outskirts of Leesburg, Union cemetery was created as a public cemetery open to people of all faiths.

It predated three other 'Union' cemeteries in Loudoun County established at Hillsboro, Waterford and Lovettsville. The cemetery contains the 1908 Union Chapel and several notable monuments, including a Confederate War Memorial at

the north end of the site, and an imperfectly cut 30-foot- high granite column, allegedly designed for a D.C. public building, but rejected and brought to the cemetery in the 1890s.

Union Cemetery

323 North King Street
Leesburg, VA 20175

Loudoun County, VA
703-777-3186

MORE ABOUT THE AREA

Leesburg, VA — Leesburg has been the county seat since 1757 and was once named “George Town” honoring King George II. Leesburg was established in 1758 from land originally held by Lord Fairfax, then renamed…

LOCAL TOURISM REFERENCES

Visit Loudoun and Loudoun County Visitors Center
Market Station 112-G South St. SE Leesburg, VA 20175
703-771-2170 ext. 11 or 800-752-6118 ext. 11
Daily 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Days
www.visitloudoun.org