Built as a residence for a local family, the Graffiti House was converted into a hospital after the Battle of Kelly’s Ford in March of 1863.
When the Anglican Church was established by law, Baptists were often imprisoned for preaching without licenses. In 1769 Culpeper officials imprisoned James Ireland for preaching without a commission from the ecclesiastical/civil authorities.
Given “to the Masons of Culpeper County” under the will of American Revolutionary War hero General Edward Stevens in 1820, the original one-acre Stevens family burial site has grown to over seven acres. In addition to General Stevens’ graves are those of many prominent Culpeper families such as Button, Waite, Kyle, Reams, Guinn, and Hudson […]
Also known as Oak Shade Church, Little Fork Church is the oldest standing church building in Culpeper County, and the County’s only Colonial church.
African Americans throughout Virginia lobbied persistently for better education, yet progress came slowly. Culpeper and Orange offered very limited secondary programs, while Greene, Madison, and Rappahannock did not extend beyond seventh grade.
Fairview is a beautiful cemetery which dates back to the 1800’s. Its rolling acres have met the needs and desires of many who seek a peaceful and well-maintained burial place.
In 1852, the Orange and Alexandria Railroad built two depots at this location, one on the east side of the tracks for freight and one on the west side of the tracks for passengers. Although these buildings survived the Civil War, including the Battle of Culpeper Courthouse on September 13, 1863, the occupation and fighting […]
Established on April 13, 1867, it was dedicated as the final resting place for the heroes of the United States who fell in battle or died of disease during the Civil War in the surrounding Culpeper area.
Soon after the county was formed in 1749, a frame courthouse was constructed on the northeast corner of Main and Davis streets. In 1808, this unsafe building was demolished, and a two-story brick building was erected on the same site.
The 1862 Battle of Cedar Mountain, also known as the Battle of Slaughter’s Mountain or Cedar Run, involved 22,000 Confederate troops, under command of Major General Thomas J. ‘Stonewall’ Jackson.
Adjacent to the Museum of Culpeper History. The Burgandine House (c.1750) is the oldest house in the town of Culpeper and is open to visitors. The Museum grounds provide a beautiful setting to reflect on the day and plan your next adventure.