In operation since 1786, White’s Ferry is the last working ferry on the Potomac River. A widely used means of crossing the river (and a shortcut) between Maryland and Virginia since its inception. Today, commuters use the ferry daily, where 24 vehicles can be transported at a time.
Established in 1855 on the immediate outskirts of Leesburg, Union cemetery was created as a public cemetery open to people of all faiths.
A history and genealogy library owned and operated by the Town of Leesburg. Collections focus on Loudoun County, regional and Virginia history, genealogy, military history with special emphasis on the American Civil War, and ethnic history. The collection includes books, periodicals, maps, photographs, newspapers, and manuscripts. Lectures on history and genealogy offered in the fall, […]
The Marshall House offers tours of the restored former home of General George C. Marshall, Architect of Allied Victory for World War II, Special Ambassador to China, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and Nobel Peace Laureate. Ninety percent of the furnishings and memorabilia are original to the Marshall period of residency, from 1941-1959. The […]
George Carter, descendant of one of Virginia’s first families, began the 3,408 acre Oatlands Plantation in 1798, and began building the classic Federal-style mansion in 1804, adding to and embellishing the house for nearly 30 years.