The red brick three and a half story La Grange manor house built in the 1790’s and has survived numerous owners and finally has come to rest as Prince William County/Manassas first modern-day established winery. Wine tasting $5. Year-round events and classes are scheduled.
The Confederate columns, led by Jackson’s force, headed to this Bull Run Mountain pass after leaving The Plains. Jackson’s troops sprinted though Aug. 26 without a problem, putting distance between him and Longstreet, who lagged behind. By Aug. 28, there were lots of Federals in the areas, some of whom headed to the gap to […]
A Confederate observation post here warned of the Union effort to turn the flank of the Southern position during the initial stages of the First Battle of Manassas. It was the first use of wig-wag signals during wartime.
While outside the boundaries of The Journey Through Hallowed Ground National Heritage Area, the museum interprets the history of the Marine Corps, US Marines storming the armory at Harpers Ferry, WV after its capture by abolitionist John Brown on Oct. 18, 1859. Learn how the Marine Corps have evolved over the past 200 years through […]
This 11-acre historic park, part of The Manassas Museum System, contains one of only two surviving Civil War fortifications in the City of Manassas. The earthwork was built by Confederate troops in the spring of 1861 as part of the Manassas Junction defenses, on the Hooe family farm, Mayfield. The historic site contains the Mayfield […]
The 5,000-acre tract bordered by Bull Run was the scene of two Confederate victories. The First Battle of Manassas, fought in 1861, was the opening engagement of the Civil War and pitted Union Brigadier General Irvin McDowell’s unseasoned troops against ill-trained but spirited Confederates under Joseph E. Johnston and Brigadier General P.G.T. Beauregard.
The current 7,000-square-foot building on eight acres opened in 1991. Permanent and temporary historical exhibits interpret Northern Virginia Piedmont history through artifacts, documents, videos, and images. The Museum houses the McBryde Library & Archives and Echoes, the Museum Store.
Born a slave in western Prince William County in 1894, Jennie Dean realized her dream of creating a school where young African -American men and women could learn marketable trades. Outdoor memorial and exhibits open all day, year-round. Memorial is part of the Manassas Museum System.
Lucasville School (1885-1926) is a reconstructed one-room school dedicated to interpreting post-Civil War African-American education in Prince William County, Virginia.
Built in 1825 and according to tax records the house was valued at the time of construction at $2,876, a handsome sum for the time period. By July 1861, Liberia was pressed into service as the headquarters for General P. G. T. Beauregard, CSA and some reports also record its use as a hospital and […]