This compact plantation house was built circa 1793 for William Madison, member of the Virginia House of Delegates for seven consecutive terms and brother of President James Madison.
The red brick three and a half story La Grange manor house built in the 1790’s and has survived numerous owners and finally has come to rest as Prince William County/Manassas first modern-day established winery. Wine tasting $5. Year-round events and classes are scheduled.
In operation since 1786, White’s Ferry is the last working ferry on the Potomac River. A widely used means of crossing the river (and a shortcut) between Maryland and Virginia since its inception. Today, commuters use the ferry daily, where 24 vehicles can be transported at a time.
Incorporated in 1810, Warrenton retains the character of a crossroads Town with charm and character in its built environment. Over 300 historic sites are preserved within the local Historic District; though local, national, and international history fill every pocket of the Town’s 4 square-miles. Any given point in Warrenton has decades of history surrounded by […]
There have been seven courthouses in Warrenton since becoming the seat for Fauquier County in 1795. The original Courthouse is thought to have been located somewhere in the area of the Warrenton Cemetery constructed around 1759 then moved to Culpeper Road around 1764. The third construction finally brought the courthouse to Main Street in 1765 […]
The Warrenton Cemetery began as a family burial ground in the early 19th century then was sold to the Town in 1828. Since then, the cemetery has evolved into an 18 acre walkable timeline with over 8,000 known burial sites including prominent political, military, and cultural figures. Landscaped paths accentuate the natural elements of the […]
The Virginia Discovery Museum is a hands-on museum for young children and their families. Lots of fun things to do and see, including an authentic 18th century log cabin, art studio, train play area, toddler room and changing exhibits.
Thomas Jefferson believed the college experience should take place within an “academical village,” a place where interaction between scholars and students enlivened the pursuit of knowledge.
Established in 1855 on the immediate outskirts of Leesburg, Union cemetery was created as a public cemetery open to people of all faiths.
The Confederate columns, led by Jackson’s force, headed to this Bull Run Mountain pass after leaving The Plains. Jackson’s troops sprinted though Aug. 26 without a problem, putting distance between him and Longstreet, who lagged behind. By Aug. 28, there were lots of Federals in the areas, some of whom headed to the gap to […]