The Extreme Journey Camp is an innovative, award-winning summer camp where middle school students canoe, bike and walk in the footsteps of great leaders from this region… During their exploration, students create short videos that they write, direct, film and star in answering the question, “what does leadership mean to you?”
Your Mission: This summer, become a spy in the “Journey Intelligence Agency” to reveal the mysteries of history! You will assume the identities of those who lived here before us, face the same problems they faced, and then decide: What does leadership mean to me?
This two-week day camp offers a unique chance to:
- Canoe the Potomac River
- Cycle Gettysburg National Military Park
- Hike Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
- Explore Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello Estate
- Bike the C&O Canal Towpath
- Discover Local History at The Marshall House and Ball’s Bluff Battlefield Regional Park (New in 2022!)
- March Across Antietam National Battlefield and Tube Antietam Creek
- Investigate Historical and Haunted Locations on a Candlelight
- Tour of Shepherdstown, West Virginia (New in 2022!)
- Uncover “Stories in Stone” through a Scavenger Hunt at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Frederick, Maryland
- Develop Teambuilding Skills at Escape Room LoCo and on the Zip Line and Challenge Course at Camp Highroad
- Use iPad Minis and iMovie Software to Create a Film about the Meaning of Leadership
All under the guidance of incomparable interpreters who will lead hands-on cultural, recreational, and creative activities.
Now in its 15th year, this program is offered by the Journey Through Hallowed Ground, a non-profit organization dedicated to civically engaging students of every age in our shared heritage, in partnership with Loudoun County Parks and Recreation.
Adventure Open To: Rising 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade Students
Session 1: July 11 through July 22 (Monday-Friday, Day Camp Only)
Smart’s Mill Middle School
850 North King Street, Leesburg, VA 20176
Session 2: July 25 through August 5 (Monday-Friday, Day Camp Only)
Mercer Middle School
42149 Greenstone Drive, Aldie, VA 20105
*Special Rate Available for Returning Campers* (Limited Scholarships Available)
This price partially covers charges for bus transportation, park admission, guided tours, bike and canoe rentals, snacks, and use of cutting-edge filmmaking equipment. The remaining costs are underwritten by the Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership.
For additional information regarding camp registration contact Blaine Horton, Camp Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (703) 771-5913, or visit http://www.loudoun.gov/webtrac. Click “Camps” heading on the homepage, then type “Extreme” in the “Keyword Search” field.