Built in the spring of 1863 by Union forces, this fort is one of two in the area – the other being the Confederate-built Mayfield Fort. Named for a nearby stream, Cannon Branch was one of several earthwork forts constructed alongside the Orange & Alexandria Railroad as protection for the rail line that carried supplies […]
Across from the battlefield visitor center, this peaceful knoll overlooking the town is where Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address in 1863. The cemetery came about of necessity.
Yes, Lincoln really did sleep here. This three-story brick Federal is the home where President Lincoln stayed on the occasion of his cemetery dedication address.
This compact plantation house was built circa 1793 for William Madison, member of the Virginia House of Delegates for seven consecutive terms and brother of President James Madison.
The red brick three and a half story La Grange manor house built in the 1790’s and has survived numerous owners and finally has come to rest as Prince William County/Manassas first modern-day established winery. Wine tasting $5. Year-round events and classes are scheduled.
In operation since 1786, White’s Ferry is the last working ferry on the Potomac River. A widely used means of crossing the river (and a shortcut) between Maryland and Virginia since its inception. Today, commuters use the ferry daily, where 24 vehicles can be transported at a time.
On the summit of South Mountain, a spur of the Blue Ridge chain, stands the rugged stone tower known as The Washington Monument, the first monument dedicated to the memory of George Washington. Washington Monument State Park offers an accessible picnic area, playground and museum.
Incorporated in 1810, Warrenton retains the character of a crossroads Town with charm and character in its built environment. Over 300 historic sites are preserved within the local Historic District; though local, national, and international history fill every pocket of the Town’s 4 square-miles. Any given point in Warrenton has decades of history surrounded by […]
There have been seven courthouses in Warrenton since becoming the seat for Fauquier County in 1795. The original Courthouse is thought to have been located somewhere in the area of the Warrenton Cemetery constructed around 1759 then moved to Culpeper Road around 1764. The third construction finally brought the courthouse to Main Street in 1765 […]
The Warrenton Cemetery began as a family burial ground in the early 19th century then was sold to the Town in 1828. Since then, the cemetery has evolved into an 18 acre walkable timeline with over 8,000 known burial sites including prominent political, military, and cultural figures. Landscaped paths accentuate the natural elements of the […]