Charles Carroll, of Carrollton, who was the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, provided a chapel at Tuscarora in 1764. The cemetery, adjoining the church, contains many unmarked graves of the Irish laborers of the C&O canal and B&O Railroad, who fell victim to the cholera epidemics of 1822 and 1832. The marked tombstones bear the names of many prominent families of the time. The families of Thomas, Day, Spalding, Jarboe, and Dutrow appear on the tombstones.
Carollton Manor (Tuscarora/St. Josephs Church)
5843 Manor Woods Road
Frederick, MD 21717
Frederick County, MD
Mass on Saturdays at 4:30, Sundays 8:30am and 10:30am, and Mon, Tues, Wed 9am
MORE ABOUT THE AREA
Buckeystown, MD — The community was named for George and Michael Buckey, who established a tannery here in 1775.
LOCAL TOURISM REFERENCES
Tourism Council of Frederick County, Inc.
151 S. East Church St. Frederick, MD 21701
301 228-2888 or 800 999-3613