Built as a residence for a local family, the Graffiti House was converted into a hospital after the Battle of Kelly's Ford in March of 1863.
Wounded Union and Confederate soldiers, using charcoal from the central fireplace, wrote their names, units, hometowns, messages, and drawings of men, women, and animals on the walls of the home. The graffiti was discovered in 1993 during renovation work to convert the property to commercial use.
The Brandy Station Foundation purchased the property in 2002 and operates it as a memorial to all Civil War soldiers. The Graffiti House is located 5 miles north of Culpeper at the Virginia Route 663 exit on US Routes 29 & 15, in Brandy Station.