George C. Marshall’s Dodona Manor offers tours of the restored former home of General George C. Marshall, Architect of Allied Victory for World War II, Special Ambassador to China, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and Nobel Peace Laureate. Ninety percent of the furnishings and memorabilia are original to the Marshall period of residency, from […]
Built as a residence for a local family, the Graffiti House was converted into a hospital after the Battle of Kelly’s Ford in March of 1863.
Located on the Confederate Retreat from Gettysburg, July 4, 1863, the Inn was built over 250 years ago and is one of only five in America that has been in continuous operation since the 1700’s.
Following the Civil War, the Reverend Dr. Nathan Cook Brackett established a Freewill Baptist primary school in the Lockwood House on Camp Hill. The school was open to all regardless of sex, race or religion.
Prior to Independence, the predecessor of the American Episcopal Church was the Anglican Church, known generally as the Church of England. Virginia law required its colonists to attend and support that church, which made it unpopular with many of them.
When the Anglican Church was established by law, Baptists were often imprisoned for preaching without licenses. In 1769 Culpeper officials imprisoned James Ireland for preaching without a commission from the ecclesiastical/civil authorities.
During the Civil War, St. Paul’s Church was used by Union troops of the United States Army. The building and its interior furnishings were used as barricades and for firewood. The building also served as a hospital and for cooking purposes. Following the war, the Vestry sued the United States Government for compensation and was […]
Located on the Ridge of South Mountain, the South Mountain State Park extends the length of the mountain from Pen-Mar to Weverton. Battle of South Mountain occurred on September 14, 1862. The Appalachian Trail (AT) is a 2178-mile long footpath that runs from Maine to Georgia. The Appalachian Trail in Maryland runs approximately 41 miles […]